The Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA) has saccumb to pressure from the National Labour Commission and suspended its strike.
According to the Association, the move to suspend the strike which started on Monday is to allow negotiations for demands to continue.
The suspension comes after an Accra High Court on Tuesday, September 22 issued a substituted service to be given the members of the GRNMA over their strike action.
“As we all know, members of the Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwifery Association laid down our working tools because we were not happy with how our employers were dealing with us.
The nurses and Midwives will be resuming work on September 24 but have insisted that if the negotiations go sour, they will resume their strike action.
“But we have decided to go back to work following an injunction secured by the National Labour Commission and our love for the country,” President of the Association said adding that “If we are not happy with the outcome of the meetings, we will resume our strike”.
Nurses and Midwives in Ghana have been on strike since Monday, September 21 demanding better conditions of service.
The Association among other things is demanding:
- Transportation = a certain % of basic salary
- Rent/accommodation allowance = a certain % of basic salary
- Uniform allowance = a certain % of basic salary
- Professional development allowance = a certain % of basic salary 4 Specifics
- Rural incentives for those who work in rural areas(no matter their category) = a certain % of basic salary
- Fuel allowance = a certain no. of gallons(with this the employer agreed but want to start from PNO and above, but our leader disagreed, because taking into consideration, a certificate cadre, by the time he/she will get to this rank, he/she will be no sooner closer to retirement, even that majority will not get to that rank, hence they will never enjoy this allowance)
- On-Call allowance for those at the rural areas(especially, those working 24hrs in our health centers) and at the hospital who are been called to work = a certain % of basic salary
- Book and research allowance for our institutions(with this, our employer agreed for only degree awarded institutions, again our leaders rejected, because NMTC’s also does researches) = a certain % of basic salary