US President Donald Trump has dismissed Robert Mueller’s investigation and ongoing talks about a proposed border wall in a New York Times interview.
The president said negotiations in Congress about funding for a wall – the issue behind the recent government shutdown – were a “waste of time”.
He also claimed his lawyers had been reassured he was not a target in the special counsel’s investigation.
Mr Mueller is probing alleged Russian collusion in the 2016 election.
The New York Times’ interview with Mr Trump came after the president reached out to the newspaper’s publisher A G Sulzberger.
Mr Trump has repeatedly attacked the paper as the “failing New York Times”.
Mr Sulzberger asked the president to stop his attacks on the media last year, saying they could “lead to violence” against journalists.
What did Trump say about the border wall?
“I’ll continue to build the wall, and we’ll get the wall finished,” the president said, dismissing the continuing talks aimed at solving the impasse in Congress and implying he could declare a national emergency to ensure the barrier is built.
Mr Trump has sought $5.7 billion (£4.4bn) for a wall on the southern border. The Democrats refuse to provide it, arguing it is immoral and ineffective.
The divide led to the longest government shutdown in US history, which will resume on 15 February if no budget can be agreed.
Mr Trump slammed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in the interview over the border wall.
“I’ve actually always gotten along with her, but now I don’t think I will any more,” he said. “I think she’s doing a tremendous disservice to the country.”
Ms Pelosi told reporters on Thursday there would be no money for a wall in planned border security legislation.